Why is it different?
- More choose Security+ – chosen by more corporations and defense organizations than any other certification on the market to validate baseline security skills and for fulfilling the DoD 8570 compliance.
- Security+ proves hands-on skills – the only baseline cybersecurity certification emphasizing hands-on practical skills, ensuring the security professional is better prepared to problem solve a wider variety of today’s complex issues.
- More job roles turn to Security+ to supplement skills – baseline cybersecurity skills are applicable across more of today’s job roles to secure systems, software and hardware.
- Security+ is aligned to the latest trends and techniques – covering the most core technical skills in risk assessment and management, incident response, forensics, enterprise networks, hybrid/cloud operations, and security controls, ensuring high-performance on the job.
About the exam
CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) English language exam will retire on July 31, 2021.
The new Security+ (SY0-601) is now available.
CompTIA Security+ is the first security certification a candidate should earn. It establishes the core knowledge required of any cybersecurity role and provides a springboard to intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs. Security+ incorporates best practices in hands-on troubleshooting, ensuring candidates have practical security problem-solving skills required to:
- Assess the security posture of an enterprise environment and recommend and implement appropriate security solutions
- Monitor and secure hybrid environments, including cloud, mobile, and IoT
- Operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies, including principles of governance, risk, and compliance
- Identify, analyze, and respond to security events and incidents
Security+ is compliant with ISO 17024 standards and approved by the US DoD to meet directive 8140/8570.01-M requirements. Regulators and government rely on ANSI accreditation, because it provides confidence and trust in the outputs of an accredited program. Over 2.3 million CompTIA ISO/ANSI-accredited exams have been delivered since January 1, 2011.
CompTIA offers a wealth of certification training that is designed for exam success. Find out more and explore all training options.
eLearning with CompTIA CertMaster Learn for Security+
Train anywhere, anytime. Master all exam objectives through learning content that is enhanced with videos, flash cards and performance-based questions. Confirm your learning progress with an included practice test.
Interactive Labs with CompTIA Labs for Security+
Supercharge your certification training with hands-on, browser-based virtual lab environments. Jump into the role of an administrator, complete basic to advanced tasks and quickly understand the impact of the system changes you make.
Exam Prep with CompTIA CertMaster Practice for Security+
Go into your Security+ certification exam with confidence. Adaptive exam preparation in this intelligent online training companion will reinforce what you already know and fill the gaps in areas you need to improve.
Study Guides for Security+
Developed by CompTIA for the CompTIA certification candidate, Study Guides are available in print or eBook format and packed with informative and engaging content tied to exam objectives.
Video Training with ITProTV for Security+
Together with our partner ITProTV, CompTIA offers videos moderated by Security+ experts who explain the exam objectives of A+ in a talk show format that is easy to follow.
Whether you’re looking for in-classroom or live online training, CompTIA offers best-in-class instructor-led training for both individuals and teams. You can also find training among CompTIA’s vast network of Authorized Training Partners.
Keep your certification up to date with CompTIA’s Continuing Education (CE) program. It’s designed to be a continued validation of your expertise and a tool to expand your skillset. It’s also the ace up your sleeve when you’re ready to take the next step in your career.
Get the most out of your certification
Information technology is an incredibly dynamic field, creating new opportunities and challenges every day. Participating in our Continuing Education program will enable you to stay current with new and evolving technologies and remain a sought-after IT and security expert.
The CompTIA Continuing Education program
Your CompTIA Security+ certification is good for three years from the day of your exam. The CE program allows you to extend your certification in three-year intervals through activities and training that relate to the content of your certification. Like Security+ itself, CompTIA Security+ ce also carries globally-recognized ISO/ANSI accreditation status.
It’s easy to renew
You can participate in a number of activities and training programs, including higher certifications, to renew your CompTIA Security+ certification. Complete CertMaster CE, an online, self-paced CE course, or collect at least 50 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) in three years, upload them to your certification account, and Security+ will automatically renew.
Want more details? Learn more about the CompTIA Continuing Education program.